Re: [Phys-l] Deceleration or Negative Acceleration

On Sep 9, 2008, at 2:01 PM, Steve Highland wrote:

On 09/09/2008 07:02 AM, pschoch@nac.net wrote:
A student has asked which is
proper terminology: "Negative Acceleration" or "Deceleration".

I agree with everything you have to say below. What I'm wondering about
is what is the best order in which to introduce these things to students?

One possibility is to begin with static equilibrium. The net force is zero and acceleration does not have to be mentioned. Introduce vectors and their components in that context. The preliminary unit of force could be pound.

Then go to a=F/m, where the preliminary unit of acceleration is lb/kg. Then show that go to the "official" unit a acceleration, m/s^2. Is this a better alternative, in terms of teaching efficiency? This would have to be tested.

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physics teacher
5 Horizon Road, Apt. 2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/