Re: [Phys-l] Deceleration or Negative Acceleration

On Sep 9, 2008, at 10:33 AM, Joseph Bellina wrote:

I think there may be another issue here. Some motion variables are
scalars, like distance and speed, others are vectors like
displacement and velocity. Acceleration is ambiguous, which can be a
problem. Perhaps the word deceleration suggests a scalar concept,
whereas negative acceleration is the vector concept.

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College