Re: [Phys-l] Deceleration or Negative Acceleration

I disagree with John Mallinckrodt that it is reasonable to define deceleration as - d/dt | v_vec |.

As John said, this means positive deceleration is slowing down and negative deceleration is speeding up. But this is not parallel usage to acceleration (should I say it is not anti-parallel usage to acceleration). In common language deceleration and acceleration imply opposites. But if John defines deceleration as he did, then deceleration does not mean the opposite of acceleration, so I don't see any way this reduces the confusion.

In common language, acceleration is speeding up and deceleration is slowing down.... period.

In physics, acceleration is either speeding up or slowing down depending on whether its sign is the same or opposite the sign of velocity.

In physics, deceleration is not used.

In physics, it is sufficient to say speeding up or slowing down to describe whether the magnitude of the velocity is increasing or decreasing.

It might also be necessary to point out that when using "speed" in this manner, we are referring to the instantaneous speed and not the average speed, since it is the instantaneous speed that is the magnitude of the instantaneous velocity.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
1 University Drive