Re: [Phys-l] SI unit for time

You could avoid that problem by recording the mass in kilograms (kg), and never use unit symbols in a formula. v^2 = 2gh, g is grav. accel. m = 0.005 kg = 5 g, g is symbol for grams, but the kg removes the ambiguity. I guess if you ever multiplied the Boltzmann constant by the grav. accel. there would be the possibility of confusion, but you've always got to pay attention to context.

"Rauber, Joel" <Joel.Rauber@SDSTATE.EDU> 9/8/2008 12:50 pm >>>

| Does anybody still use "gm" for grams?

Yes, when I am trying to avoid confusion of the symbol g for the
free-fall acceleration of an object.