Re: [Phys-l] SI unit for time

Of course the physics police or the SI police will not get you if you use an
old fashioned abbreviation.

But there is a more serious breach of SI standards. This is the use of the
k, M,... prefixes in the computer world. Kilo or k stand for 1000, but the
computer world (not necessarily consistently) uses it to mean 1024 because
that makes it a simple binary number. There is an IEEE standard to address
this where kibi (as I recall) would mean 1024. Actually this problem might
eventually be solved, but not by the USA. We can't seem to agree on any
standards. If the Europeans insisted that computer systems adhere to SI
standards in labeling, this would be changed.

The real problem comes in when you look at things like file sizes. Did they
use M according to SI, or according to computer usage. It makes mental
arithmetic to convert Kbytes to Mbytes... essentially impossible. One can
estimate, but that may not be good enough when you are concerned about
space. Then of course they follow SI when quoting speeds.

I consider this to be a serious problem with respect to standards. The
manufacturers could start advertising their hard drives according to SI
which would make the numbers slightly bigger. I suspect that if one did it
all would follow, because of competition. If MS followed SI when it quoted
sizes, I suspect the rest of the world would quickly follow.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX