Re: [Phys-l] sun's true color

Notice I did say the eye-brain system. The apparent whiteness independent
of illumination is predicted by the retinex model. Actually the processing
appears to be fairly close to the eye. Also it works with perception of
black, gray, and white. One is able to distinguish them even when the black
paper may reflect more light than the white one. Land demonstrated this
with a Mondrian array of randomly placed papers, and spotlights aimed so the
black at one end replected the same amount of light as the white on the
other end. Land designed a simple electrical array which mimicked the eye's
response to color and brightness.

The CIE engineering approach to color management depends critically on other
factors which are not under control. It assumes a constancy of perception
which does not happen. Fortunately it works fairly well for the machines it
is designed for. The CIE approach would work better if all TVs had the same
surrounding illumination. At one time Sylvania tried this by surrounding
the screen with a bright frame.

Unfortunately the conventional teaching of color completely ignores the fact
the color constancy is maintained under varying lighting conditions. The
Howard Hughes institute in their online book on the senses states the "color
constancy" is one of the most important aspects of human vision, yet it is
generally ignored by the physics texts.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

John,
You have just started to tap this subject because besides the
physiology of the eye, the brain can change our perception as well. Take a
white sheet of paper outside and you will see it as white. Same that same
sheet of paper inside under an incandescent lamp will also be white. This
even though the temperature of the sources of light vary by over a factor
of two. Your brain "knows it is white" so it makes appear so. In the
C.I.E.
color space chart which is used to model the eyes response the location of
white depends on the temperature of the source.
This by the way is not the same effect that people find when they
buy an item in a store with florescent lights and take it outside and see
it change. In this case it is because the light source is not a blackbody
source and the reflected colors are a quite different mix from those of a
blackbody, i.e. not a smooth distribution.
Visual perception is function of not only the light detector but
the minds interpretation of the image. The power of the brain to create an
image in our blind spot is another example of this.
Gary