Re: [Phys-l] celestial motion

At 09:24 AM 8/22/2008, Anthony Lapinski, you wrote:
///
What I want to know is the Sun's angular speed in the sky. The Sun is
about 0.5° across. So in a 12-hour day, it moves 180° from east to west.
This is 15°/hr, or 0.25°/min. When we look at a sunset, it already
happened. Since light takes about 8 min to go from the Sun to Earth, the
Sun has moved 2° in this time -- about 4 solar diameters.! This seems a
bit large, or did I make an error?

Hmmm...the event I think you have in mind for Sunset is the time of last
light visible from the Sun. This is signalling an obscuration happening
a little further than your local horizon (the last light bends near
the Earth's surface, no doubt.)
You could argue then that the event in question is transmitted to you
with a delay corresponding to the speed of light traveling
10, 15, 20 miles from your horizon to you?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!