Re: [Phys-l] stressed beam stiffness analysis with one end fixed

No, but this [inordinately long] URL, a google book reference to Accurate Clock
Pendulums by R.J.Matthys may provide a reference to spring suspended pendulum
beats actually shortening with amplitude increase (pp127??)

<http://books.google.com/books?id=Lx0v2dhnZo8C&pg=PA127&lpg=PA127&dq=spring+suspension+pendulum&source=web&ots=JPdS8zbzGT&sig=QSADAhwvhyuASFNTmBqAFHZg39A&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result>

It falls to a work by the celebrated Captain (Henry) Kater to provide the
reminder I was looking for (at the foot of pp382-383 of his Mechanics, here)
<http://books.google.com/books?id=BLUEAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA383&lpg=PA383&dq=spring+suspension+pendulum&source=web&ots=UZa-cAXzXN&sig=2cDMn5-Nhpui-Mv6in0b-UwnTRo&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result#PPA382,M1>

where he mentions Huygens' proposal to provide cycloidal cheeks at the
pendulum's silk suspension to oppose the decrease in rate with amplitude.

Brian W