Re: [Phys-l] Physics job opening in Texas for 2008-09

Hi all-
John seems to mistake what it means to demonstrate that a proposition is true. By way of analogy, not too irrelefvant, consider Newton's laws. Nobody has exhibited an experiment, done with falling weights and pulleys, that violate Newton's laws. Does that mean that Newton's laws are true in general? Clearly it does not. It means that they correctly describe the results of experiments performed in a limited set of circumstances.
One must view the context of the experiments from which to draw general conclusions. And John looks to a limited set of experiments.

He is also mistaken when he says, "if you choose to disbelieve these studies..."
It is not a queswtion of belief or disbelief. It is a question, probably quantitive - a mode that John repeatedly skips - of the range of validity of the studies that have been done.
And, yes, there is a mass of data waiting to be mined, namely, the AP Physics Exams. The multiple choice sections of these exams are not terribly different from the FCI. The difference is that a student takes the AP only once, so there is no chance of being coached on the answers.
I think that John's medical analogy fails on two counts. (1) I wan't aware that the discussion is about producing students who want to become physicists, and (2) it remains to be shown that the process of a young person's choice of career is like catching a disease.
It also fails because there is nothing in the educational process that is analogous to exposure to an identifiable chemical substance, nor is there an identifiable outcome analogous to death.
Regards,
Jack