Re: [Phys-l] elliptical thinking

On 07/21/2008 12:27 PM, ludwik kowalski wrote:
A have now read John's piece (clicking on his first link). Would a
math teacher call this a proof or an observation? Yes, the upper limit
for S is 4*a*b, while the lower is 2*a*b. By why is 2 or 4 must be
replaced by pi? How do we know that what is true for a circle must
also be true for an ellipse?

Note: By way of background, I assume everybody knows the formula for
the area of a circle,and the area of a square.

My point is that you can parlay that into the formula for the area of
an ellipse ... by a scaling argument.

Note: If you want an absolutely rigorous mathematical proof of this
result, you can express the area in terms of an integral, and then
do a change of variable. The resulting factor of b/a then pops out
in front of the integral, since an integral is a linear operator.
That means you don’t even need to evaluate the integral in order
to obtain the scaling result.

The intuitive explanation for why this works is even simpler.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/scaling.htm#sec-ellipse