Re: [Phys-l] Physics job opening in Texas for 2008-09

The studies have shown that a liking of science goes down with each science
course taken. One thing that is known is that students are humans are more
enthusiastic about something if they have success in doing it, and are
usually less enthusiastic if they just beat their head against the wall.

Many children claim to like science, but it is taught as a set of facts that
they do not understand, and often times do not believe. Newtonian ideas are
counterintuitive in an Aristotelian (or perhaps middle ages) frame of mind.
So it is no wonder that students find hard science to be unlikable.

I think one can make a case that the love of science and math is beaten of
students by our educational system. Our society has a strong bias towards
the idea that good thoughts produce better results. But good thoughts
actually are best promoted by solid accomplishments and understanding.

There was a recent NYTimes article (within the last year as I recall) that
explored the work of a very interesting psychologist. One thing that they
found was that praising students usually resulted in lower performance. But
praise was effective if it was targeted towards a specific action that the
student did. Telling students they were smart tended to lower results.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I don't think it's lack of taught conception, it's lack of "love".
testable -- is a love of science from an early age a significant
prerequisite?

bc was an amateur "scientist" from as far back as he can distinctly
remember (3rd grade).

p.s. :