Re: [Phys-l] De-chording polyphonic music with software.

Wow! This is amazing. Note that the software is evidently doing something much more difficult than a Fourier spectral analysis. The implication is that it is determining which partials belong to each note being played simultaneously by a multiphonic instrument like a piano or a guitar and bundling them together so that each note can be transposed individually preserving its relative timbre without affecting the timbre of any other notes that are being played at the same time. That does seem to me to be an impossible task in general because the problem is clearly underdetermined. Consider, just for instance, playing a pair of notes separated by an octave and trying to determine which partials belong to which note. It seems to me that this could only be accomplished by making some arbitrary--if, possibly, intelligent--decisions along the way.

I notice that the demonstrations are apparently limited to recordings of single instruments and I suspect that's no accident. I'd be seriously blown away to hear piano notes altered within the context of a concerto!

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona