[Phys-l] Two Centuries of School room Aids. [relay]

Supposing this may be of interest to you, I am relaying
this note from Peggy Kidwell on rete - the instrument list.

Brian W

Subject: [rete] Thank you!

Over the past few years, several of you have answered bizarre inquiries
about such topics as blackboards, overhead projectors, geometric models
and slide rules. I'm happy to report that these efforts have now borne
fruit in the publication of Tools of American Mathematics Teaching
1800-2000. This volume, co-authored by Amy Ackerberg-Hastings
and David Lindsay Roberts, describes the introduction of new objects into
the American classroom, from the textbook and the blackboard to the
graphing calculator and computer software. It is available from
Johns Hopkins University Press
(see <http://www.press.jhu.edu/books/title_pages/9570.html>http://www.press.jhu.edu/books/title_pages/9570.html ).

Many thanks for your help in this endeavor!

Sincerely,

Peggy A. Kidwell
Curator of Mathematics
MRC671, NMAH, Smithsonian Institution
P.O. Box 37012
Washington, D.C. 20013-7012
for Fed Ex or UPS: 12th St. & Constituion Ave.
Washington, D.C. 20560
telephone: 202-633-3828
kidwellp@si.edu

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!