Re: [Phys-l] Ca mandates 8th-grade algebra test

Hi all-
Such numbers are meaningless, as are all experimental results, unless one knows the statistical and systematic uncertainties associated with the results.. When the experiment falls in the realm of the social sciences, as research attempts in education must, the systematic uncertainties merit extensive discussion and are difficult to quantify.
Among the systematic uncertainties are the effects of the time and placement of the experiment, the precise definitions of the categories compared, and the identification of relevant factors.

The art of estimating systematic uncertainties seems to improve when the experiment is repeated many times and the deviations in quantitative results are accounted for. When systematic uncertainties are under control, numerical results from different experiments will fluctuate in accordance with statistical predictions.
Regards,
Jack