Re: [Phys-l] Ca mandates 8th-grade algebra test

In response to John's excellent point about what is meant by "8th grade algebra," the following are the five questions presented as examples in today's SF Chronicle:

1. Two airplanes left the same airport traveling in opposite directions. If one airplane averages 400 miles per hour and the other airplane averages 250 miles per hour, in how many hours will the distance between the two planes be 1625 miles?

2. What is the solution set of the inequality 5 – |x + 4| < –3 ?

3. What is the y-intercept of the graph of 4x + 2y = 12 ?

4. What is (x2 – 4 xy + y2) / ( 3xy – 6y2) reduced to lowest terms?
(This is expressed as a fraction without the parentheses.)

5. The square root of 16 plus the cube root of 8 equals? (This was expressed in symbols.)

All five were multiple choice questions with four candidate responses.