[Phys-l] Speth's Opinion of Makhijani's "Carbon-Free and Nuclear-Free"

*************************************
ABSTRACT: In a previous post, I asked the question "Would Gus Speth regard Arjun Makhijani's (2007) 'Carbon-Free and Nuclear-Free: A Roadmap for US Energy Policy' as unworkable because it attempts to 'work within the system'." I then posed that question directly to Speth who responded: "I'd urge you to read the book. I'd love to see Congress move in Makhijani's direction." But I submit that the failure of the Lieberman-Warner Climate Security Act is (a) consistent with Speth's point that "real solutions. . .[to environmental challenges]. . . will require transformative change in the key features of this contemporary capitalism," and (b) bodes ill for "Congress moving in Makhijani's direction."
*************************************

In a previous post "Re: Civilization's Last Chance?" [Hake 2008)], a title prompted by Bill McKibben's (2008) Los Angeles times opinion piece, I noted that according to a review of "The Bridge at the Edge of the World" [Speth (2008)] at Amazon.com <http://tinyurl.com/5v6m4w> by Ross Gelbspan <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Gelbspan>, Speth contends that:

"Working only within the system will . . . not succeed when what is needed is transformative change in the system itself."
Considering the above, I posed the question (slightly edited):

"Would Speth regard Arjun Makhijani's (2007) 'Carbon-Free and Nuclear-Free: A Roadmap for US Energy Policy' as unworkable because it attempts to 'work within the system'."

I used the "Email the Author" feature on Speth's website <http://www.thebridgeattheedgeoftheworld.com/> to pose the above question directly to Speth.

For the record, his response was:

"I'd urge you to read the book. I'd love to see Congress move in Makhijani's direction."

A "Conversation with James Gustave Speth" <http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/discussionswith/james_speth.asp>, is relevant to this issue and includes the following:

**************************************
Q: What have you concluded . . . [regarding environmental challenges] . . . . .? Can we still make enough meaningful changes to reverse the damage?

A: My conclusion, after much searching and considerable reluctance, is that most environmental deterioration is a result of systemic failures of the capitalism that we have today. Real solutions will require transformative change in the key features of this contemporary capitalism. In this book I've tried to identify these transformative changes.

I submit that the failure [Pooley (2008)] of the Lieberman-Warner Climate Security Act [UCS (2008)]:

a. is consistent with Speth's point that "real solutions. . .[to environmental challenges]. . . will require transformative change in the key features of this contemporary capitalism," and

b. bodes ill for "Congress moving in Makhijani's direction."

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands.
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi/>