Re: [Phys-l] images in eye

Among the many things that are processed close to the eye is color vision.
It really does not follow the traditional 3 color model very well. The eye
looks at boundaries and renormalizes so you can see the "actual" color of an
object independently of illumination. Now of course cameras do not work
this way, so the 3 color theory should be called an engineering color
theory. Incidentally there are 2 different possible inherited color filters
for blue so others may not see color the same way if they have the other
filter.

Some other curious factors are that some people who have poor or no color
vision have had it "restored" by wedge shaped glasses that put different
colors at different depths.

Then there are many people who do not have binocular vision, and rely only
on other cues for depth. I knew one who could not see depth except when
looking through a stereoscope. He became an instant 3-d photography addict.

It is truly amazing how the brain and eye can unscramble the stimulations!

John M. Clement
Houston, TX