Re: [Phys-l] football orientation in flight ERRATUM

coaches, couches... whatever; funny how some principals don't know what we do, maybe they are former *couches* also. ;->
Anyway, sorry for going way off topic but I've been waiting years to tell this tale from the inner city. The opportunity never came up earlier but this off-topic reply from Chuck seems the perfect time.
Back when I first started teaching physics in the late 80's I was telling the students about the jobs available to those who studied physics in college. Engineering was one of those professions. Well, during parent conference night a few months later an irate parent came to me and angrily asked me why I was telling her son he should drive a train for a living! I had no idea what she was talking about until I asked her what she was referring to. She replied, "You told him he could study for a job as an engineer. My son can do better than be a train driver." After doing all I could do to avoid cracking up with laughter, it only took a second to educate this woman about a profession evidently she and her son had never encountered before. She seemed pleased and asked what it paid. "More than a teacher," I replied. She went away happy. (I have no clue what this student ended up doing, sorry for the loose end.)

Marty