From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:13 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] football orientation in flight ERRATUM

On 05/21/2008 10:19 PM, I wrote:

Disclaimer: This is probably quite a complicated phenomenon. It is
very,
very easy to get the wrong answer in situations like this.

I got that part right. I should have quit while I was ahead.

Having said that, here's the first hypothesis that occurs to me, and
it seems
to fit the facts.

Actually my hypothesis does *not* fit the facts. I got the direction
wrong on the Magnus force, and therefore (unless I made ANOTHER
mistake)
my previous conclusion was diametrically wrong.

When correctly analyzed, the effect I identified makes a _negative_
contribution to the angle-of-attack stability.

I have no idea how to explain the observed stability. It is easy to
guess that some other effect makes a larger contribution in the
direction
of positive stability ... but I have no idea what effect that would
be.

Sorry for causing confusion.

The following reference is not much help, either:
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1046/j.1460-
2687.2002.00106.x