Re: [Phys-l] Zero-gravity vs. weightlessness

On 05/21/2008 02:51 AM, Savinainen Antti wrote:

I happened to read AAPT periodical "Interactions" (April 2008). There
was an open forum letter stating that weightlessness should not be
confused with zero- or microgravity. The letter made a distinction
between the airplane flying a parabolic path (zero-gravity flight)
and the space station following a circular orbit around the earth.

It was explained how in the space station "centrifugal force, due to
inertia, equal and opposite gravity makes people and things orbit
weightless". On the hand, the aeroplane is flying a parabolic path
"that does not resist the force of gravity on the passenger and they
are weightless but accelerating toward the earth due to gravity".

Words fail to express how wrong that distinction is.

I have thought that both cases are equivalent from the point of view
of relativity theory: the vehicles execute essentially free motion in
gravitational field. Hence, the gravitational field in the frame of
the vehicles is very nearly zero in both cases.

Exactly so.

P.S: I know that the term "weightlessness" is quite ambigious but I
don't think that it is a problem in these examples.

I wouldn't have said "ambiguous". I think _frame dependent_ is the
key physics idea. For example:

the gravitational field in the frame of the vehicles is very ....

That is the unambiguously correct way to say it.