Re: [Phys-l] backwards units : entrenched usage

At 14:18 -0700 5/17/08, John Denker wrote:

The other day I was reading the data plate on an electric motor:

HP : 1 1/3 Type : C
RPM : 1725 SF : 1.0
A : 12.3 PH : 1
V : 115 Hz : 60

This seems backwards relative to the way we would write things in the
physics lab:

1.333 HP
1725 RPM
12.3 A
115 V
60 Hz

A Philadelphia lawyer might argue that the A and V on the data plate
stand for amperage and voltage ... but that only goes so far. I'm
not going to buy horsepowerage or Hertzage or RPMage.

I'm not a historian, but I conjecture that the idea of "unit analysis"
(where the units are algebraic quantities, with their modern meaning)
is relatively new. I've seen the "backwards style" in old engineering
books. There's no doubt that the colons on the data plate are the
equivalent of equals signs. In old books I've seen formulas of the form

RPM = 28.75 * Hz

which is utterly backwards from a modern unit-analysis point of view.
We would write the conversion factor as 28.75 RPM per Hz.

I dunno. Maybe this is just a historical phenomenon, but it may also be a natural thing for people who are not well trained in science. As you point out, electricians seldom use the words current or potential, but they also seldom use any of the accepted phrases for rotational speed or power. I have heard them frequently say "the RPMs are . . ." and "the HP is . . ." And my students often used terms like that, substituting the unit for the name of the quantity--"The joules of this object are . . ." etc. Look on the label of a can of soda. It won't say Energy: xx joules, or yy Calories. It always says Calories: yy (I used to have a Coke can from Australia that listed energy content correctly, as xx joules).

I suspect that this is more due to sloppy teaching about units and the names of things in our schools. The person who designed that name plate (and most of the other name plate designers) probably had hand no more than a high school physics class if that, and the person who gave them the specs to include may either have known no better or, worse, was used to the common usage and didn't care that it was wrong.

This may have been common scientific or engineering usage many years ago, but I don't think today's students have seen these things enough to have absorbed that bit of history yet.

Students in the typical physics course are being inundated with new concepts and the units associated with them and it is probably difficult to sort out which are which. They can only absorb so much at a time and since the teachers probably emphasize the units more than the name, it may be natural for them to remember units before the do names.

I do, however, sometimes see unit conversion tables expressed in the form you showed, which as a computational algorithm makes some sense.

This is mostly conjecture, but based on my experience with my students, and my (admittedly fuzzy) memories of my student days.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar