[Phys-l] magnetic forces & potential energy

Hello.

I have a student that is trying to design an electric motor. I know
there are a million different (& easy) electric motor designs available.
He is trying something a bit unique.

The student has magnets that state they have a 'strength' of 200 pounds.
I believe that this is the force of attraction btn the magnet and a
ferromagnetic substance when the two are in contact. Is there a high
school method (algebra or calc 1 method) that would make it possible to
calculate:
1- the force of attraction btn two magnets (one electromagnet & one
permanent magnet) when they are separated by some distance?
2- the potential energy of a two magnet system in which the two magnets
are separated?

Your help is appreciated. I haven't used much of my e&m since I took
the course. It appears I've forgotten quite a bit. A bit shameful.

Thanks for your input.

Paul Lulai . . . To wonder is to begin to understand
Physics Instructor
Science Olympiad Coach
US First Robotics Teacher
.: Medtronic - St Anthony RoboHuskie Team 2574:.
Saint Anthony Village Senior High School, ISD 282
3303 33rd Avenue N.E.
Saint Anthony Village, MN 55418
(w) 612-706-1144
(fax) 612-706-1140