[Phys-l] images in eye

Students are learning that real images are inverted (relative to their
objects) and can be projected onto a screen. Many were surprised to learn
that the images on their retina are also inverted. Our brains somehow make
us see things normally. I figure it's complicated, but does anyone know
the exact mechanism by which the brain "flips" these retinal images so
that we see them as upright? Did evolution play any role in this?

This might sound bizarre, but I read something (in a physics book?) many
years ago that you could wear some type of glasses (biconvex?) that would
make the images on your retina upright. You would then see everything as
inverted. You would wear the glasses for several months. Then, after
removing the glasses, you would still see everything inverted! It would
take some time for your brain to "readjust" until you saw everything as
normal again. I have always wondered about this idea when I teach optics.
Would this even be possible?