Re: [Phys-l] Letters of recommendation

Hi all-
Good point. Many states and/or instiutions will defend you and be responsible for damages in the event of a lawsuit. Also, opinions expressed in letters of reccomendation may be privilaeged in your state.
If you're really worried, you can carry, as I do, an umbrella insurnce policy.
Jobs at major research univerities that I am familiar with rely very heavily on letters of reccomendation. Similarly, with respect to admission to graduate schools.
Regards,
Jack