Re: [Phys-l] Physics job opening in Texas for 2008-09

I find that speculation to be offensive. I was a student who went to grad school planning on pursuing a PhD. I decided that I did not like doing research and that teaching high school was going to more what I wanted to do. I chose to do a thesis option for a MS degree and did research in Physics Education. So, speculating that those who receive a MS degree were people that "couldn't pass the exams" and that hiring those people is to "dumb down the teaching" is something that I thought most people on this list would be above. I'm glad that those of us who choose this path are respected by the rest of the physics community. Scott Secrest
St. Francis de Sales High School

Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 14:07:26 -0500 (CDT)> From: Jack Uretsky <jlu@hep.anl.gov>> Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Physics job opening in Texas for 2008-09> To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>> Message-ID: <Pine.LNX.4.64.0805111402480.13844@theory.hep.anl.gov>> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed> > As long as we're speculating, I speculate that it is just a dodge to dumb > down the teaching. In my experience a terminal M.S. is taken by grad > tudents unable to pass the Ph D qualifying exams.> > On the other hand, speculation in hiring policies is dehumanizing.> Regards,> Jack> > >
http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_052008