Re: [Phys-l] Physics job opening in Texas for 2008-09

Were you thinking of RTOP?

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556

On May 11, 2008, at 10:33 PM, John Clement wrote:

There is an evaluation instrument that correlates well with the use of
inquiry. It is intended for use by administrators, and not by students. It
is used by researchers. SETS, student evaluations of teachers, are useless
for evaluation of the effectiveness of a teacher as measured by student
learning.

One of the most telling examples of how SETS are useless was an experiment
where they trained workers either all at once, or in spaced doses. It is
well known that spaced training is much more effective, but the workers
rated it as less effective.

I forget the name of the instrument, and at this point am too lazy to look
it up. It also correlates, as I recall, with the learning in a classroom,
unlike most standard evaluation instruments of teachers.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX