Re: [Phys-l] failure is always an option

Two observations, one firsthand one not.

Grade Inflationi: We just graduated our 2008 class at Rice University. 7% of the students had a GPA > 4.0, 30% were above 3.8.

Standard tests: I have read, though I don't remember where, that SAT scores correlate much more strongly with Socio Economic Status than with college GPA. In my own discipline, there is ZERO evidence that GRE's correlate with success in graduate school, but all of my colleagues, who had high GREs believe they are predictive.

--
Richard E. Grandy
Professor