[Phys-l] Lumalive LED textiles

Hi All,

In case you are interested in more details about the LED textiles video that was linked to in a previous posting, you can get more details here:
http://www.lumalive.com/business/whatislumalive/technicaldata.html

There are two links near the bottom that give you a bit more data too.

My first guess was that OLEDs finally made it to the market, but in fact, these are not organic LEDs but are standard old inorganic LEDs in a plastic sleeve. The control electronics and batteries are stuck on the corner of the package. The entire system counts on light getting through the fabric. The fabric itself is not lighting up.

There are products being dreamed of using OLED technology that is currently being developed where the OLEDs and the fabric are all intertwined together.

By the way, the video was a fairly old one (for the field of consumer electronics). It was released in 2006 and the product hit production in late 2005, although without any partners at that time, as far as I can tell.

Like others have noted, I cringe at the idea of my friends becoming animated billboards. On the other hand, cool graphics and fun patterns that change would certainly have a large market in their own right. What I could not find out quickly, is how much it costs. They are apparently being marketed by a company in Europe called Boost Products. But I didn't see any prices and don't have the time to keep hunting.

All the best,

John

John E. Sohl, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Weber State University
2508 University Circle
Ogden, UT 84408-2508

voice: (801) 626-7907, fax: (801) 626-7445
e-mail: jsohl@weber.edu
web: http://physics.weber.edu/sohl/