[Phys-l] truck mileage

I have quite an interesting problem that I cannot explain...

Our Ag teacher set up this scenario for me:

one 5000# truck gets about 18 miles per gallon
same 5000# truck pulling a 4000# trailer gets 8 miles per gallon
same 5000# truck pulling a 4000# trailer + 10000# of cows ALSO gets 8 miles per gallon.

Any ideas why the empty and the full trailer both get the same mileage? This same pattern is also present in a different trailer and truck combination.

thanks,
Kathy

Kathy Daniel
Oakland High School