Re: [Phys-l] The behavior of light

Actually it is the possibility of making intergalactic trips that is more appealing. Ignoring the practical considerations (like year long accelerations) and how to shield against particle and radiation damage, near light-speed travel introduces the possibility that humans could (if we survive long enough) colonize the galaxy without the use of large asteroid sized 'living colonies' as the transportation vehicles.

Rick (who wouldn't mind skipping the current political/economic/social realities to gamble on what might be a century or two from now!)

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Bowman" <David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 10:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] The behavior of light

Regarding Rick's idea of fun:

But John, where's the fun in this? It IS the twins that fascinate
people, and yes we get into accelerations here, but to me the
fascination of SR is the idea that by taking a trip at high speed
and returning, I can effectively travel into the future.

Of course we all can travel into the future by just staying home,
too. None of us are getting any younger.

Be alive 1000 years from now.

OK, but that doesn't make your own personal life expectancy any
longer. And how much fun would it really be to have been gone
missing all that history anyway, and only to show up later as a
hopelessly out-of-touch alien in an alien world where you can't
by Roddy McDowell's relatives, Biff, or some Eloi, Morlocks, or
who knows what else. :)

David Bowman