Re: [Phys-l] Lecture vs Advocacy

I couldn't agree more about the power points being just yet another means of getting information up, and being indistinguishable from an overhead except the nice typesetting... unfortunately that is what (in my mind) makes the difference. Seems superficial, I know, but I don't think it can be argued that most people like pretty things.

The same way that the definition of appropriate dress has changed to accommodate changes in social trends, I believe what is considered appropriate (or desirable) for visual aids has changed. If the professor shows up wearing something from the 70's it doesn't mean they aren't as good of a teacher by any means; but is the talk that occurs between students regarding the professors antiquated style adding to the physics lecture or distracting from it? *noise*

I do not mean to overemphasize the importance of the power point/overhead matter, it is nowhere near as important as the instructors ability to communicate their ideas...the best power point in the world cant save a poor instructor, all I mean to say is that if you reduce the "noise" in an environment the more effective the communication. This is a basic tenant of the Shannon-Weaver SMCR model of communication. There are, of course, more complex models, but this servers as a good base.

The following link discusses the components of the SMCR model, including noise created based on attitudes towards the sender of the message and the message itself.

http://www.cultsock.ndirect.co.uk/MUHome/cshtml/introductory/sw.html

The basic idea idea for me is that if you are engaging and your audience relates to you and actually has a desire to know what you want to teach the learning process should be enhanced.