Re: [Phys-l] Lecture vs Advocacy

I teach physics at a private high school and do my own evaluations each
trimester. I always ask what they like best/least about me and the course.

I get the usual stuff for the dislikes: grades too hard, book doesn't
help, etc.

And for the likes: passionate teacher, relaxed atmosphere, sense of humor,
available for help, etc.

I have been using peer instruction techniques for the past three years --
something I learned at an astronomy workshop at a summer AAPT meeting.
Students must be engaged so that their preconceptions about the physical
world are challenged. Since I give similar tests each year, I can easily
see the improvements in students' conceptual understanding of the
material. This stuff works! No power point needed.

Physics is THE most exciting discipline to study. But understanding the
laws of nature is difficult for many. Some physics ideas are so
counterintuitive. If we are not pumped up, then we can't expect our
students to be interested.

Great thread!

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
I will grant you that my opinion (indicated as such in the first post) is
Ijust that, opinion. I'll take a look around for studies to support my
cluaim. The main idea that, as the student, I am going to pick up on
youri attitude or mood and am likely to adopt it. Sure, if you're
teachintg a higher level course or grad courses the people there are
alreaidy interested in what you have to say, you're walking into a
receptiyve audience. What I was considering (and should have made clear)
rwas 100 level courses where you have students who, for the most part,
dons't care walking in. If you can get them to change their mood, it is
moy opinion that only then can you make them receptive to learning. And
Io certainly don't mean higher grades (although those would probably
follorw), I'm talking about understanding concepts. Because, lets face
itl, if I'm not interested in or excited to learn about something I'm
prob ably not going to retain it beyond what I need to know for the test
(rafter wh

ich its going out the window). If you can change my mood/attitude you
macy be able to get me to be open to learning. Of course I need to be
engyaged, you getting pumped up about it isn't going to make me learn,
buty it may make a hostile audience more open to becoming engaged.

Contagious Moods (not studies, news articles):

http://www.hawaii.edu/ur/University_Report/URJune/moods.html

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/getArticle.cfm?id=1931

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CE6D91131F936A25753C1A967958260