Re: [Phys-l] Detecting ultrasonic ring tones

I guess I don't understand the point of worrying about ultrasonic ringtones. If a phone call is coming in, they can't easily answer the call without a teacher noticing. If a text message is coming in, they might be able to sneak a peek at it, and some students are adept at texting by feel, so they might see and respond to the text, but the chances of getting caught are high. If the penalty for answering an incoming call or message is severe enough, what good does an ultrasonic ring tone do? It seems to me it would just frustrate the kid to know a call or message came in, but they can't respond. Am I missing something?

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
1 University Drive