[Phys-l] Teaching Load

Hi All,

I'm am putting together a list of institutions and their teaching loads. As our 4-year university (primarily undergraduate) is starting to require more and more research the topic of load has come up. We currently have a 12 hour teaching load each term.

Please respond off list (I'll summarize the results and post them) to the following questions:

1. Name of your college/university

2. Type of College/University (primarily undergraduate, graduate R1, etc.)

3. Are your faculty expected to involve undergraduates in significant research?

4. How many teaching load hours are you expected to do each term?

5. How many "active" physics majors do you have at the Jr./Sr. level that would be involved in undergraduate research and how many faculty do you have in the department to work with them?

6. Comments?

To get you started, here are my answers:
1. Weber State University
2. Primarily 4-yr undergraduate, 18,000 students, commuter campus, "metropolitan university"
3. Yes, the Physics Department is especially aggressive in this area.
4. 12
5. About 20 to 30 students and 12 faculty about half of whom involve students in significant and continuous projects.
6. We are facing many issues, including faculty burnout, as we evolve from a 4-year college to a 4-year university.

Thanks!

John

John E. Sohl, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Weber State University
2508 University Circle
Ogden, UT 84408-2508

voice: (801) 626-7907, fax: (801) 626-7445
e-mail: jsohl@weber.edu
web: http://physics.weber.edu/sohl/