[Phys-l] paraxial approximation

I am a little bit confused about the precise statement of the paraxial approximation. For simplicity, let's restrict the discussion to image formation by a single curved mirror. Consider the following two statements:

(A) optical rays make small angles relative to the principal axis
(B) optical rays strike the mirror near the vertex V (defined as the point of intersection of the principal axis with the mirror)

QUESTION I. The paraxial approximation is defined to hold whenever:
(1) rays satisfy (A) regardless of whether or not they satisfy (B)
(2) rays satisfy (B) regardless of whether or not they satisfy (A)
(3) rays satisfy both (A) and (B)

WHICH OF THE THREE CHOICES (1) TO (3) IS CORRECT?

Before answering, consider a second, application question. (After all, one can make any definition one likes. Without an application in mind, it just becomes semantics instead of physics.)

QUESTION II. If the paraxial approximation is valid for a spherical mirror, then one can state:
(4) there will be no aberrations of any kind
(5) some kinds of aberration will be eliminated, but other kinds will remain
(6) the paraxial approximation isn't very useful/relevant/interesting when applied to spherical mirrors; it's primary application is to other shapes (perhaps parabolic, elliptical, etc)

WHICH OF THE THREE CHOICES (4) TO (6) IS CORRECT?

I hope you see where I'm going with this. My reading of typical intro textbooks is that their answers are (1) and (4). (Check out the intro text *you* use to see.) But these two answers are inconsistent with each other! For example, a collimated beam can be incident [so that every ray is parallel to the principal axis and (A) certainly holds] and yet one will get spherical aberrations if some incident rays are far off-axis. I believe some texts try to avoid this by instead choosing answer (3). But now I'm wondering whether that's overkill. Wouldn't choice (2) avoid spherical aberrations? One might think you'd get coma, but I'm not sure that's correct. It's true the focal surface is curved, but provided I use a mirror of small diameter (or equivalently aperture it right near it), won't an off-axis object give a reasonably sharp image nonetheless (albeit located off-axis)?

--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-5002