Re: [Phys-l] Is evolution something to believe in?

At 10:46 -0400 4/3/08, R. McDermott wrote:

And it isn't just religion, of course; global warming as being a man-made
effect is another area where unpopular points of view seem to require
routine attack. Anyone spouting a contrary view is, apparently, deluded,
ill-informed, or a shill for "big oil". And what difference does it really
make? If we ARE primarily responsible, does anyone actually think there's a
chance in hell that we can get things under control? With China and India
entering explosive expansions of their economies? With the villification of
nuclear power trumping the ecological damage done by harvesting and burning
fossil fuels? With an ever-accelerating world population? Pardon me for
being a pessimist, but it seems to me that at this point it's inevitable
that we will find SOME way kill ourselves off - If good old mother nature
doesn't do it for us first.

It is entirely possible that we won't get things under control. But if that happens, we are in big trouble. I think most of us here don't need a tutorial on what that big trouble is. The issue is can we do something? I think the answer is yes, provided we recognize that the "something" is what *we* do. We cannot sit around and wait for the government to act. They won't take the lead until the people make it clear to them that if they want to keep their jobs they'd better. And the way we convince them is to start the necessary actions on the local level. There are plenty of them that can be initiated at all levels-international, national, state, county & municipality, neighborhood and finally personal. Current polling indicates that a substantial majority of the people in this country realize that there is a problem. It's just that at the moment they don't quite know what to do about it. Some serious public education is in order.

There are actually a couple of things that governments can do that are pretty simple, but politically very difficult as long as those who resist those changes have, through their money resources, the political clout to keep them from happening. The two things that can be done that will have a huge effect, and will result in other things happening that will help even further, are stopping the building of any new coal-fired power plants that don't include carbon-capture and storage and setting fuel standards for road vehicles that will force a conversion to more eco-friendly fuels--biofuels (not from food crops), electric (not from coal plants), or distributed-production hydrogen (or all three). This isn't enough in itself, but it does make a big dent in the problem and it will make it easier to do the necessary follow-on stuff.

As for China, India, and the rest of the third world, their per-capita use at the moment is tiny compared to ours. It is not unreasonable for them to aspire to a standard of living comparable to ours, but it is incumbent upon us (that is, the west) to make sure that they do it in a sensible way, so that their per capita GHG emission remain low, and hopefully even decrease. This is possible if we make the effort to lead the way.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar