Re: [Phys-l] Is evolution something to believe in?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Cohen" <Robert.Cohen@po-box.esu.edu>

As mentioned before, many people believe evolution based upon the
reputation of the scientific community, not because of the evidence.
Destroy that reputation and you weaken the belief. One needn't argue
that there is a scientific alternative -- all you need to do is question
the reputation of the scientific community responsible for the theory.

But we tend to do the very same thing within the scientific community. When scientists question human induced global warming, the first (knee-jerk) response from the 'mainstream' community is to attack the credentials and/or the motivations of the critics. A good example is the mailing most of us got a few months back. I searched online to find refutations for the evidence presented in that paper (Environmental Effects of Increased Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide, Arthur B. Robinson et.al.) , and instead found, over and over again, attacks on the authors' credentials. There are some data presented showing that trends now cited as proof of (human induced) warming, started well before any significant human contribution to greenhouse gasses. While there may be something posted that deals with this, I can't find it amidst all the character assassinations! ;-(

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College