Re: [Phys-l] Is evolution something to believe in?

----- Original Message ----- From: <cparker@charter.net>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 9:10 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Is evolution something to believe in?

For nearly all non scientists and I would suggest very many k - 12 teachers who support the idea of evolution most certainly do "believe in evolution". They simply do not know enough to do otherwise. Maybe as I think about it now what they really do is believe in scientists. What we tell them must be true, after all we are scientists. We do little in school or otherwise to encourage the masses to beleive based on evidence we simply ask them to beleive in science. How do we fix this problem?

Change at least the elementary and middle-school science curricula. Guided Inquiry techniques and similar curricula might help students understand HOW science gathers data and draws conclusions based on such. Work on structuring the High School labs (at very least) to follow similar pedagogy--not just cookbook labs. One can imagine HS curricula that are more limited in breadth and more concentrated on understanding a few key ideas, but one can also argue that if this is the last time a student sees a branch of science then breadth _could_ be more valuable than depth (and of course others can argue the other way). Most state standards are on the breadth side.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College