Re: [Phys-l] party idedas for physics seniors?

You guys used to use Rube-Goldberg type machines in your recruiting ads.

Let the seniors build some.

On Apr 2, 2008, at 12:59 PM, Mike Moloney wrote:

I'm going to have our physics seniors over to my house for a party next
week.
Naturally I'd like to have a couple of simple physics-related games or
tasks.

There is a poster on my wall (from the Far Side cartoonist?) showing people
carrying armloads of feet to a clerk behind a counter who is handing out
meters
to them. This is the sort of simple puzzle I'd like to present to students.

I have cut out a bunch of physics trading cards from TPT, and am not
sure what
to do with them. Maybe a prize for the most paired scientist by last name
(e. g. Feynman and Faraday) or something else. A card game of some sort?
(I'll see your Einstein and raise you one Millikan?)

Find the most abbreviations for elements which correspond to abbreviations
for states of the union (AL and Al, etc.)

All I can think of for prizes are a couple of old slide rules of mine.

I'd love to have your ideas on this. Thanks in advance!

Mike

--
Mike Moloney, Physics and Optical Engineering Dept
Rose-Hulman Inst of Tech, www.rose-hulman.edu/~moloney