Re: [Phys-l] "To put it simply, no Darwin, no Hitler, " said the group's late founder, D. James Kennedy.

Comments like this serve as an example of why we should stick to physics on this list and leave the political ramblings to the PHYSOC list. Libertarians look to Adam Smith for guidance - but hardly reject the science of Darwin. The only thing I find "curious" is your rush to stereotype.

Bob at PC

________________________________

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu on behalf of John Clement
Sent: Mon 3/31/2008 8:09 PM
To: 'Forum for Physics Educators'
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] "To put it simply, no Darwin, no Hitler," said the group's late founder, D. James Kennedy.

It is curious that the same people who reject the scientific ideas about
Darwin will practice social & political "Darwinism" with respect to other
people. Adam Smith is often their guru, and they ignore recent research
that shows that people tend to chose cooperation over competition. It seems
that cooperation is built into us. And of course the Japanese do not reject
Darwin while also having an extremely cooperative view of society.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX