Re: [Phys-l] Capacitance problem

On 03/29/2008 09:32 AM, Bob Sciamanda wrote:
I have taken a different approach, concentrating on the CHARGE on each
capacitor plate. For simplicity I assume ideal capacitors (no fringing), of
equal value. Once the EMF is disconnected, the charge +Q is trapped on the
upper plate of C1. For an ideal capacitor, a charge -Q will be attracted
onto the lower plate of C1 from wherever it is available. Grounding this
lower plate does not affect this charge value, and the potential across C1
is still [unchanged] ....

A) Yes, that is essentially the definition of what we mean by "capacitor",
i.e. it is the canonical derivation that justifies treating a capacitor
as a two-terminal black box that behaves according to the equation

ΔV = Q / C [1]

B) In engineering, it is not customary to re-do the physics each time,
but rather to do the physics once, encapsulate it in equation [1],
and then rely on equation [1] for day-to-day use.

C) On special occasions we open the black box and look at the physics
again. One example is the Thompson-Lampard calculable capacitor,
which is IMHO a brilliant piece of physics.

I get 1000 hits from
http://www.google.com/search?q=thompson+lampard+capacitor
but I don't know of any good tutorials. The best I've seen
are
http://www.ecse.monash.edu.au/museum/dglcap.html
http://www.ecse.monash.edu.au/museum/DGLCAP1.jpg
and of course
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v177/n4515/abs/177888a0.html

This idea has been around for 50 years now. Maybe in another
50 years it will make it into the textbooks.