Re: [Phys-l] Capacitance problem

I have taken a different approach, concentrating on the CHARGE on each capacitor plate. For simplicity I assume ideal capacitors (no fringing), of equal value. Once the EMF is disconnected, the charge +Q is trapped on the upper plate of C1. For an ideal capacitor, a charge -Q will be attracted onto the lower plate of C1 from wherever it is available. Grounding this lower plate does not affect this charge value, and the potential across C1 is still 1/2 the original EMF, but it does lower the point V2 to ground potential.

See some sketrches at:

http://www.winbeam.com/~trebor/CAPS/CAPS.jpg

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)