Re: [Phys-l] experiments with dyes (was: happy equinox)

On Mar 24, 2008, at 1:29 PM, Marty Weiss wrote:
No such claim was made. (etc.)

On Mar 24, 2008, at 1:08 PM, Michael Porter wrote:
...the suggestion that I took issue with
was that Renoir et al were claiming that red, yellow, and blue
specifically were the three primary colours.

Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood your reply to Larry Woolf's reply to Barbara Bay.

Both of them were pointing out (I thought) that there seems to be a general misconception out there (from grade-school art classes) that the three primary colours are red, yellow, and blue. To this you replied, "Thousands of artists over hundreds of years are all wrong? (etc.)".

It sounded as if you thought the misconception was shared by all those artists, in addition to your gr. 9 art teacher. I didn't think you actually believed this, but the message wasn't clear -- were you being sarcastic, or trying to make a different point altogether? Perhaps a smiley/emoticon was called for.

;-)

Mike

---
Michael Porter