Re: [Phys-l] experiments with dyes (was: happy equinox)

What (limited) colors DID the pointillists use????

I suspect that SOME of our non-understanding comes from 'symmantics' while other some comes from our mixing the two (valid) viewpoints that color represents.

Color sometimes is used to 'describe' the spectral colors 'of the rainbow'.
Each of these can be precisely defined by a single wavelength or frequency.
Physics classes typically dwell on this 'meaning' of color.

Color is also used in a more widely accepted sense as the PERCEPTION of color that results from the stimuli of the cones in the human retina.
The human eye is often considered to be an extension of the human brain in that much signal processing is done before the optic nerve dumps its information into the 'brain'. PERCEPTION of color indeed arises from the stimulation of the 'red', 'green' and 'blue' cones and the wavelengths of each receptor overlap with the wavelengths of the others.

Anything related to the brain is WAY too important and too complicated for any physicist to pretend to understand, yet we must pretend sometimes.

Color theorists have been known to state things such as:

ANY three wavelengths of light can be chosen to represent 'color space' as long as two of the 'colors' are additive and one is subtractive.

I have no clue as to the relevance or usefulness of this theorem.