Re: [Phys-l] physics in music

Here's a challenge: substitute "ellipse", or "conic section", for "circle" and still end up with something that scans.
Regards,
Jack

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Paul Lulai wrote:

Peter Mayer is a local (Minneapolis) musican. He has a few songs with some neat science/physics references. < http://www.petermayer.net/music/>

One More Circle
So let us weave another dream in outer space
While weÿÿre turning, while weÿÿre turning
On this planet home that holds our human race
We still are learning, but all in all

CHORUS:

Iÿÿd say this year in flight together has been a good, good one
What say we make one more circle One more circle
One more circle around the sun

Mr Mayer also has:

Camping by the Sun
I like it here and so do you
On the one thatÿÿs green and blue
With everything that life requires
A big hydrogen camp-fire
We could be here quite a few days
The next place is four light-years away
When youÿÿre camping by the sun

Yippee-yay-yeh, yippee-yay-yo
Outer space is mighty cold
Unless by chance, you have found
A nice, warm star to fly around
Unless youÿÿre camping by the sun

Like the earth roped the moon
The sunÿÿs got us in itÿÿs own lasso
Weÿÿre doing dishes and weÿÿre taking showers
At sixty-five thousand miles and hour
It makes you want to play the guitar
And sing songs with Jupiter and Mars
When youÿÿre camping by the sun

Yippee-yay-yeh, yippee-yay-yah
Outer space is very dark
Unless with luck, you have found
A nice, bright star to fly around
Unless youÿÿre camping by the sun

Yippee-yay-yeh, yippee-yay-yo
Outer space is dark and cold
Unless by chance, you have found
A bright, warm star to fly around
Unless youÿÿre camping by the sun

And just before you close your eyes
When the sunÿÿs on the other side
You can wonder at the countless thousands
The other fires and whoÿÿs around them
And if the sticks for their hot dogs
Are ninety-eight million miles long
When youÿÿre camping by the sun

He also has a song called
The Dark
Which includes the lyrics,
" Some celestial bodies like to
Strut their stuff alot
But we know Mr. Black Hole is the
Big boy on the block"

Lastly, Peter Mayer has:
World of Dreams
Mr. Isaac Newton tested everything
Poked and prodded, then said
ÿÿSolid things are as real as they seemÿÿ
Mr. Albert Einstein pondered light and speed
And with his mindÿÿs eye, declared ÿÿoh my,
This is a world of dreamsÿÿ

When we investigate the highest heavens
They seem to race away faster than we can follow
And when we penetrate the heart of atoms
We find there something strangely resembling
Nothing at all

In the smallest measure of anything at hand
Entities of energy are alive in a whirling dance
Even our own bodies are not as we perceive
But made of the same stuff our thoughts are made
In this world of dreams

So do we live and move amidst illusions?
Has what weÿÿre seeing fooled us
And only exists in our minds?
And what are we to do with such conclusions?
For what cannot come true in a world of a
Mystical kind?

Mr. Albert Einstein woke one day from sleep
To arise, to his surprise, in a world of dreams
So as we move closer, the farther we must reach
We may fight for what we like, but this is a world of dreams
We may feel that this is real, but this is a world of dreams
Or proclaim no, it canÿÿt be so
But this is a world of dreams

Paul Lulai . . . To wonder is to begin to understand
Physics Instructor
Science Olympiad Coach
US First Robotics Teacher
.: Medtronic - St Anthony RoboHuskie Team 2574:.
Saint Anthony Village Senior High School, ISD 282
3303 33rd Avenue N.E.
Saint Anthony Village, MN 55418
(w) 612-706-1144
(fax) 612-706-1140