Re: [Phys-l] Physics Challenge for Teachers and Students (Feb08)

W/ out doing the work of comparison -- I wonder if using a cell instead of an infinite capacitance caspacitor is not the same. In similar problems Harnwell writes "... the batteries supply twice the change in electrostatic energy." He develops the maths techniques for these problems w/ out directly considering the capacitances, instead only the fields' energies. In his general method he deals w/ various dielectrics including the work and forces relating to their movement in addition to the forces and movements of the conductors.

bc fifty years ago.