Re: [Phys-l] Scientific Literacy in America

"Where's the questionnaire? I didn't read closely enuff?"

Judging from Art Hobson's (2008) recent PHYSOC post, some of Miller's scientific literacy questionnaire is contained in the as yet unpublished "The impact of college science courses for non-science majors on adult scientific literacy" [Miller (2007)].

Art wrote:

"At the 2007 annual meeting of the Am Assoc for Adv of Science, Miller presented a paper titled "The impact of college science courses for non-science majors on adult scientific literacy." He is publishing that paper. I HAVE A PREPRINT, WHICH CONTAINS 31 OF HIS SCIENCE LITERACY QUESTIONS. To get a preprint, I suggest contacting Miller: Jon Miller <jdmiller@msu.edu> . . . . .(see his web site below). He also tells me that parts of this paper will appear in the J of Higher Education. His web site is <http://polisci.msu.edu/people/miller.htm>, where you'll find info about other publications."

One can get a rough idea of the types of questions asked by scanning Cornelia Dean's (2005) New York Times report.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>