Re: [Phys-l] led flashlights

I'm posting this to PHYS/tap-L as others may be interested.

Chuck!

The removal of the arbor cover is new, Panzer, -- all the rest I've done. 50% duty won't maintain the same temp. because the power in more than doubles w/ doubling of the current. However, it's not 4 X as expected from an ohmic device. The diode, if it's a normal extrinsic, IIRC, will be exponential so 40% might do it. I suspect intermittent operation, as I did! will be OK, but at $50 I hesitate. I have four of them (I rebelled at buying Best Buy * out, five of them -- this is my own $; Gate Keeper puts a limit on subsidizing my experiments.)

The ubiquitous clip is, unfortunately Blu-Ray -- typical of Sony the construction allows much easier disassembly. I haven't even found a non-destructive method of removal of the Toshiba) platform, not to mention the diode from the platform -- have you done it?

*One site advertises other sources also at $49.99

bc must interrupt and finish the French drains below the house eaves.

p.s. I did find a description of the PC XBox playing system. However, tho I have a no very old IBM platform, it doesn't appear worth my time to do it. So if the diodes are useful I'l just remove them and save the optics, etc. the detector may be interesting also.
p.p.s. I'll additionally interleave -- duplicate to some readers.