Re: [Phys-l] led flashlights

Speaking of diode LASERs, I purchased an XBOX 360 external HD DVD reader for the diode -- as predicted by someone on TAP-L, it is disappointingly dim; 4.5 V. (30 mA*). I can look at it directly and see the hour glass beam shape. The system is very interesting optically, including a cemented double prism beam splitter, so the backwards compatible red LASER after the splitter uses the same optics. The LASERs' platform has both fine adjustment in height and lateral movement (X and Z).

Now my question: Does any one know how one can "play" The King Kong disk included in the box with out purchasing the console; still > $300?

* I accidentally over potentiated it (unknown potential) for a few seconds at 80 mA. Very bright then; I suspect one could do this successfully w/ a proper heat sink. (I, hoping the diode is in good thermal contact w/ the case.)

bc thinks either sold at a loss or made in China by slave labour.

p.s. the detector may be useful too.