Re: [Phys-l] led flashlights

Somewhere out there on the 'net is a simple circuit called the 'joule thief' (IIRC).
It uses a small ferrite toroid (bead) to give the voltage boost 'kick'.

Described as squeezing a 'dead' single cell to run an LED for hours.

This circuit would make a flickering light - but the frequency is WAY higher than our ~30 HZ limit.

I wouldn't use it on a sensitive diode laser without some post- conditioning.